Friday, March 20, 2015

Michael Miller Fabrics & Tara Faughnan!

 In honor of National Quilting Day, I thought we'd interview one of our textile designers who is also an amazing quilter-- Tara Faughnan!
I'll start with one of her quilts... because, well, it's stunning!! 
Half Square Triangles Quilt 2014
............................


Q: Please tell me what you do for Michael Miller:
A: I am an in house textile designer in the Sonoma Studio, so I work on all aspects of design from conception, repeats, color, presentation of collections, correspondence with the mills, to long talks on the phone with you (Kait in the NY office)


Q: What’s your favorite piece of work that you have created?
A: I usually work with art that we have bought, where I change the designs as needed, put it into repeat, make coordinates and do color ways. I love creating a collection from various pieces of art and bringing it to life with color! One of my current favorites that I worked on was the Fiesta Collection. In terms of designs I’ve created, my favorite is probably the Unicorn Herd, we always need more unicorns looking like camo




Q: What are you working on at the moment?
A: A western collection, some more metallic and a bedding collection

Q: What are you doing when you’re not creating?
A: When I am at home I am sewing away making quilts, hanging out with my husband and my large and crazy family, going dancing with my girlfriends, making specialty cocktails. I used to love to cook, now I just eat whatever my husband makes for me so I can sit around on the couch doing some hand stitching and eating bon bons
Studio- work in progress
Studio- work in progress

Improv Log Cabin 2014




Q: What would people be surprised to learn about you?
A: I don't like the taste of white sugar


Q: Do you have any favorite blogs you read?
A: I don’t read too many blogs, but a few that I follow are cauchy complete, print pattern, quilt stories by sherry ann. I also like to look at antique quilts in online collections. A couple great sites are Quilt Study and LauraFisher Quilts.

Q: What else should we know about you and your work?
A: I started quilting in 2001 or 2002 and that is what led me into textile design.  I feel incredibly lucky to have a job that encompasses my love of quilting, one where I get to play with fun patterns and pretty colors.  

Q: Do you admire any artists/designers?
A: So many- here are a few: Lance Letscher, Jill Ricci, OdiliDonald Odita, Jason Rohlf

Q: Where else can we find you?
A: My Instagram handle is @tarafaughnan, though I’m not real consistent about posting pictures.

Q: What is your favorite…
Color: I like ALL the colors
Animal: Cats
Season: Summer
Movie: 28 Days Later- and any post apocalyptic B movie involving cannibals
Book: I like sci-fi and fantasy books
Vacation Spot: Somewhere where the sand is white and the ocean is turquoise
Food: Anything Mexican
Triangles Quilt 2013

..................
Thanks, Tara!! 
Happy sewing and have a great weekend everyone!
xo,
Kait 






No comments: